Volusia County Sheriff's Office
Home | Frequently Asked Questions
Aside arrow Frequently Asked Questions

Giving information

Q. If I want to report something, is 911 the only number to call?
A. For anything related to a crime that is occurring now or any other emergency, call 911. If in doubt, be safe and call 911.
For non-emergency reports, suspicious activity, or requests, call the non-emergency number for your area. To see a list of these numbers, click here.

Q. Can I make a police report any time of day, or do I need to make an appointment?
A. The Sheriff's Office will respond 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to any request for police assistance. We always have Deputies on the road so there may not be personnel available at your local District Office. For a list of our non-emergency phone numbers, click here. We will send someone to your house or business when you call.

Q. Can I make a police report over the telephone or does a Deputy have to come to my house?
A. Some reports can be taken over the phone. The telecommunicator who answers your call will determine if your report can be handled over the phone.

Q. Is there a waiting period before I can report someone missing?
A. No. You may make a missing person report whenever you realize someone is missing.

Q. Should I report suspicious activity in my neighborhood?
A. Yes. The Sheriff's Office depends on citizens calling to report crimes or suspicious activity. The receiving officer who takes your call will ask questions about the activity to determine its nature. The officer also will ask for descriptions of the people involved. You will be asked for your name and address, but you may decline to give this information and a Deputy still will respond.  For a list of our non-emergency phone numbers, click here.

Q. I have a problem with speeders in our neighborhood. What can I do about it?
A. Call the Sheriff's Office Traffic Unit to request increased traffic patrol in your area. Click here for the phone numbers.

Q. Can I use 911 on my car phone to report drunk drivers?
A. Yes. Calls to 911 on a cellular phone are free. Do not try to pursue a drunk driver or place yourself in any danger. When you call, you will be asked for a description of the car, its location and direction.

Q. Why do the Sheriff's telecommunicators ask so many questions when I call?
A. Telecommunicators are trained to get as much information as possible to determine the nature of the problem and its seriousness. On emergency calls, the Telecommunicator already has sent the information to a dispatcher while continuing to ask additional questions.

Getting information or help

Q. My friend or relative is overdue returning home. How can I find out if he was involved a traffic accident?
A. If a person is injured in an accident and unable to call, the police agency handling the accident will notify his family.  Traffic crashes in the municipalities of Deltona and Debary are handled by the Sheriff's Office.  Crashes in the unincorporated areas, as well as Pierson, are handled by the Florida Highway Patrol.  The other municipalities within Volusia County handle the traffic crashes within their jurisdictions.  You may call the Sheriff's Office, local office of the Florida Highway Patrol or the appropriate city police department for information. 

Q. How can I find out if someone is in jail, when someone can be visited, or any other information about persons in jail?
A. Call the Volusia County Branch Jail booking office at (386) 254-1540 or click here for more information.

Q. How can I get a copy of a police report?
A. You must wait three working days for a police report to become available. Then call the Records Section with the case number. If you do not have the case number, you will need the location of the incident, date, and any victim or suspect information. There is a per page/copy charge. The Sheriff's Record Section can be reached at (386) 239-7782 in Daytona Beach; (386) 736-5962 in West Volusia or (386) 423-3360 in New Smyrna Beach.

Q. I was the victim of a crime. How do I find out the status of the investigation?
A. Call the District Office of the Deputy who took your report. Please have your case number and the investigator's name available, if possible. For a list of these numbers, click here.

Q. How do I get a concealed weapons permit?
A. You may obtain information and application packets at the Volusia County Sheriff's District, Operations or Administration offices. You also may contact the Florida Department of Agriculture Division of Licensing at (850) 245-5691 for an information packet and application forms.

Q. Can I carry a firearm in my vehicle?
A. This question and others regarding firearms in the State of Florida are answered in the Florida Firearms Guide. A copy of the laws relating to firearms is included in each concealed weapons application packet.

Q. I left my spouse and I am living elsewhere, but I need to get my clothing and other items. Can the police help me?
A. The Sheriff's Office will send a Deputy to keep the peace and prevent violence while you retrieve your belongings. Call the Sheriff's Office from a public telephone near where your belongings are, and a Deputy will go with you to the house. The Deputy only will be able to stand by for 15 minutes to help you retrieve personal items essential for your immediate living needs. The Deputy cannot help you move items such as furniture, dishes, or stereo. Removal of these items requires a court order.

Q. I do not have any transportation and need a ride. Can a Deputy help me?
A. Deputies cannot provide rides. For information on VOTRAN, Volusia County's public bus system, click here.

Q. Why did it take longer for a Deputy to answer my call this time than on previous calls for assistance?
A. All requests for police service are prioritized based on the seriousness of the incident and the potential for injury or damage to property. At times, calls of a less urgent nature must be delayed so that Deputies can respond immediately to emergencies.

Q. Someone has abandoned a junk car in my parking lot or on my property. Can the Sheriff's Office tow it away for me?
A. The police only can tow vehicles abandoned on public property. If it is on public property, the vehicle may be towed by a wrecker. In accordance with Florida State Statute, cost of such removal will be a lien against the motor vehicle. If it is on private property, the property owner must arrange with a wrecker service for the vehicle's removal. You should know that state law has certain restrictions the property owner must follow in these cases.

Q. I received a notice evicting me from my home and I'm not sure what I should do? Or, how can I evict someone from my property?
A. Eviction is a civil legal process requiring a court order. If you need advice about your specific legal situation, you should contact a lawyer. For information about the status of your case, or general information about evictions, call the Civil Section. For a list of these telephone numbers, click here.

Q. What can I do about barking dogs or stray dogs and cats in my neighborhood?
A. Volusia County Animal Control is the County agency responsible for calls involving dogs, cats and other animals in unincorporated Volusia County. For more information, click here.

Q. Can a Deputy open my car if I have locked my keys inside?
A. Because of the potential for damage to vehicles, the Sheriff's Office does not open locked vehicles. A locksmith is your best alternative. Check the listing under "Locksmith" in the yellow pages of your local telephone book. If a child is locked inside the vehicle, call 911. The Fire Department will send a rescue unit to remove the child from the vehicle, possibly by breaking a window.

Q. I need to get a message to someone who does not have a telephone. Can the Sheriff's Office go to the person's home and deliver the message?
A. The Sheriff's Office delivers only messages involving an emergency or life or death situations.

Q. My family and I are going on vacation. Can a Deputy keep an eye on our home while we are gone?
A. You may call your local District Office or Communications Office and request an "extra-patrol" property check. The information will be passed on to the Deputies who patrol your neighborhood. While the Sheriff's Office cannot "watch" your house, the patrol Deputies will try to check on it regularly. You may also go to your local District Sheriff Office and complete a form for the Citizen Observers to do a check on your residence while you are away. 

Q. How can I apply for a position with the Sheriff's Office?
A. Call Volusia County's Personnel Office at (386) 736-5951 or click here for information on available positions and job requirements.

Q. I keep getting annoying "hang-up" type phone calls, where nothing is said. It is driving me crazy, and I want the calls stopped. What should I do?
A. First, report the calls to your telephone company and ask if they can investigate and trace the calls. If you know who the caller is and wish to prosecute, you can report it to the Sheriff's Office. A Deputy will talk with you and evaluate the situation.

Q. I have received several phone calls from people representing themselves as police officers and asking for donations for various charity purposes. Are they really police officers? I would like to help, but it sounds "fishy" to me.
A. Authentic police officers and departments in this county, including the Volusia County Sheriff's Office, do not solicit funds over the telephone. However, fraternal organizations, such as the Police Athletic League or the Fraternal Order of Police may make these kinds of calls. If you are contacted by anyone claiming to represent such an organization, please be careful. If you are not familiar with it, you may wish to ask the solicitor to send you information on the charity by mail.Never give your credit card number to anyone over the phone.
If you wish to donate volunteer services, rather than money, you can get further information on some of the Sheriff's Office's community programs by clicking here.

civil process

Q. How do I find out if the service I requested has been performed?
A. Call the Volusia County Sheriff's Office Civil Section at

Q. What is the cost of the service I am requesting?
A. All costs are established by the Florida Statute 30.231, call:
to obtain an exact amount according to the type and number of services you are requesting

Q. Does the Volusia Sheriff's Office recommend anyone aside from the Sheriff's Office for serving process?
A. No

Q. Where should I have my documents delivered in order to have the Volusia County Sheriff's Office serve them for me?
A.  Any and all documents to be served should be delivered to the Civil Section office nearest to the location where the process is to be served.  The Civil Offices are open Monday thru Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and are located at the following addresses:

  • 442 S Beach St
    Daytona Beach FL  32114
  • 101 N. Alabama Avenue
    DeLand, FL 32720
  • 1691 Providence Blvd. 
    Deltona, FL 32725
  • 101 East Canal Street
    New Smyrna Beach, FL 32763

The mailing address is:

Volusia County Sheriff's Office
Civil Section
P.O. Box 2658
Daytona Beach, FL 32115

Volusia County Sheriff's Office


Administrative offices: West Volusia 386-736-5961 Daytona Beach 386-254-4689 New Smyrna Beach 386-423-3352

Non-emergency dispatch numbers: DeLand 386-943-8276 Daytona Beach 386-239-8276 New Smyrna Beach 386-409-8276 Osteen 407-323-0151

Privacy Policy | Web Accessibility Policy


We use cookies to provide and improve our services. By using our site, you consent to cookies.