back to sheriff's office home page

February 7, 2008
Gary Davidson
Public Information Officer


The suspect in a brutal robbery, kidnapping and beating in Ormond-by-the-Sea killed a security guard in South Florida Wednesday night and then committed suicide as the police closed in on him. Meanwhile, the facts surrounding the local attack on Jan. 26 are becoming clearer as the victim continues to improve and is better able to tell Volusia County Sheriff’s investigators exactly what happened. 

The Sheriff’s Office has been investigating since 58-year-old Scott McEvoy was found on the ground alongside Ocean Shore Boulevard, severely beaten and bleeding from a head wound. The victim has been hospitalized since the attack and was recently transferred to a medical center in Ormond Beach as he continues to recuperate from his injuries. The attack occurred sometime around 8 p.m. on Jan. 26, as the victim drove to his vacation home on Oceanside Drive and walked into the middle of a burglary. Investigators believe 29-year-old Ernest Heape had broken into the home and taken up residence there for several days prior to the encounter with the victim. McEvoy told investigators that the intruder confronted him with a firearm, ordered the victim into his car and then the two drove around town as McEvoy was forced to withdraw money from his bank account. Bank records show that McEvoy made five ATM withdrawals on Jan. 26 between 8:31 p.m. and 9:36 p.m., totaling $900. The victim said the two then returned to his house, where the suspect covered him in plastic wrap and tried to suffocate him. As the victim put up a struggle, he was beaten, kicked and struck in the head. Heape eventually fled in the victim’s Cadillac, which was later found burned and abandoned in DeBary. 

While sheriff’s investigators didn’t know the entire story about the attack at the time, they were able to piece together enough evidence to obtain a warrant charging Heape with burglary after Heape’s fingerprints along with property stolen from nearby residences were found in the victim’s home. Sheriff’s investigators had been searching for Heape since obtaining the arrest warrant on Feb. 1. That search ended hundreds of miles away, with gunfire Wednesday night in Miami Beach. According to Miami Beach Police, a loss prevention officer with a CVS Pharmacy was shot and killed outside the store by a shoplifter he had confronted. After responding Miami Beach Police officers moved in, the suspect shot himself in the head and died at the scene. On Thursday, Miami Beach Police confirmed that Heape was the suspect who shot the security guard and then turned the gun on himself.

(Prior news releases regarding this case can be found at the links below):

back to sheriff's office home page


Comments or questions?
E-mail the

logotiny.gif (2135 bytes)



» Safety Center
    (avoiding scams)

» Victim Advocate
» Frequently Asked
» Jobs
» Sexual Offender/
    Predator Search

General information

» About VCSO
» Mission statement
» Organizational
» Training classes
» Addresses and
    phone numbers
» 10-Codes and

Inmate Search

» Volusia County
» Florida Department
    of Corrections

Community Programs

» 100 Deputies/100
» Crime Prevention
» Civilian Firearm
    Safety Course

» Elderly Services
» Neighborhood
» Police Athletic
» School Crossing
» School Resource

Court Services

» Civil Section
» How to Collect A



» Photo Gallery
» Volunteer
» E-mail alert list
» Links